Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Why Can't We Always Do Our Best?

Those of you who know me know that I am an avid sports fan.  I get very frustrated when the player or team of my choice doesn't perform up to par.  In such cases the TV announcer will often say, "he didn't want to do that."  Of course he didn't!  But he did do it.  Whether it be lack of concentration, poor muscle memory, nerves, over-excitement, or something else, even the best athletes sometimes fail to do the best they can do.

I want to be a good person, husband, christian, pastor, and citizen but I seem to fall short all too often.  Did I want to fail?  No.  But I did fail. 

There are no excuses but we are human.  We make mistakes.  The Apostle Paul expressed it this way: "The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin.  I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it.  Instead, I do what I hate...I want to do what is right but I can't.  I want to do what is good, but I don't.  I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway."(Romans 7:14-19)  Thank God for His forgiveness!  Paul said, "Thank God!  The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord....So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus." (Rom. 7:25, 8:1)

There are many reasons to be thankful for Jesus.  Primary among them is the forgiveness we have in Him.  But let us never forget what it cost Him to free us from Christ's cross should be ever before us as we thank Him that He has declared those of us who trust in Him, blameless.  What a price to pay!  What love!  What a God!

No comments:

Post a Comment